Thursday 23 June 2011

AWI DOES TT NATS

like I said we are the most diverse team in canada just all over the place racing anything with two wheels

Chillin on the coach after a long day, started off with a nice scenic drive down to Belfountain early to make sure I could pick up my race numbers. Got there a little after 8, signed in met up with Kevin and met the H & R block riders who are part of the Norco family rocking the bikes on the road scene, nice group of guys. Even got some free tax advice.

With a long wait I headed to Orangeville for some interwebing at Starbucks. Got back and got ready for my 1:41 departure. weather seemed to changing by the minute, warmed up on the trainer as it seemed like the thing to do.

Good downpoor just before the third wave which i was in got started making for a nice slick road surface. For some reason I was put in with the heavy hitters, had some serious horsepower behind me, Darko Ficko, Ed Veal, were just minutes behind me, Osmond Bakker was my minute man.  Then all the superstars, Tuft, Zach Bell etc. A few more minutes back.

Got started heard there was a nice climb on the way out and not to kill it the first lap, check, my legs were feeling a little angry anyway. After that I got into a nice groove, probably took the corners a little easier than I should have but really had no idea what they were like dry so I wasn't gonna push it.

Course was very similar to our now old club TT course. Never flat always rolling, so it was good. Most exciting moment of the race was ont he fastest decent on the course I was almost spinning out so probably close to 60kph and gravel truck headed the other way at 80-90, with aero wheels in an already windy stretch yeah I'm very glad I had the whole lane use.

Lapped through feeling good, heading out for the 2nd lap legs really started to come around, Charlie and team Ontario rider caught me, but once I found my legs wasn't able to come by, and and then I realized I still hadn't been caught by anybody, Ed, or Darko, gave me a little motivation to know I wasn't going to get demolished by those guys.

Looking at my watch started to realize I had a fair amount left in the legs, after the last turn I accelerated stuck it in my biggest gear and just tried to spin it as fast as I could to the finish. 1:03:08. 40.8658 kmh on a rolling course with some wind. 6:40 back from Tuft (who won by nearly a minute) 40th out of 61 starters, Ill take that I was secretly hoping for a 61-62 minutes, but ill take that time and result.

As for the race within the race, Kyle Fry took top honors besting me by 21 seconds, with some mechanical issues, so I must give credit where credit is due. Kudos young man.

side notes, the entire Rocky Mountain team wasn't able to start cause their forks were out of the 3:1 rule, Charlie Bryer had to use his road bike with aero parts, so yeah they were tight on the new bike regs, 12 DNS's I think most of those were bike regulation issues.


Here's the altitude graph, my hr monitor went wonky partway but the elevation shows the rolling never flat nature of the course.

Anywho, im tired.

good times, I'd love to do more TT's in the future it has that certain mystique, just you and a bike, no BS unless you make up the BS.

Huge thanks to Sue Haviland for the bike,  Brandon Parker for the sick wheels, and  Havy for the help today,

No comments:

Post a Comment